Now that you know who we are and hopefully will come in soon, here's our advice for finding a good therapist:
Some good questions to ask
1. Are you licensed? (They should be able to give their license number that anyone is able to look up on DOPL).
This is especially important if you like deep work. Licensed professionals have better knowledge of the muscles and their functions, even apprentices do because they are getting one on one training that so many therapist miss out on these days. Unfortunately, there are many unlicensed people out there also trying to pass themselves off as LMTs.
2. Another consideration if you like deep work, is to find out if the therapist likes to receive deep pressure massages. The therapist that gets deep tissue massage, we've noticed, are better at giving deep tissue.
3. If you are looking for just soothing, relaxing massage ask the therapist if that style is possible. Some therapists are locked into one routine and will not change for anything.
4. Let your therapist know up front if you have an injury that needs to be addressed and if they have experience working with that particular injury.
Some therapists have clients fill out client intake forms to find this information out. But we prefer to get the client on the table as soon as possible and feel for the body's stress points. That doesn't mean an injury, once in a while, wouldn't get overlooked so feel free to communicate with us.
5. Communication is also very important when deciding on a massage therapist. Make sure it is someone open to listening and you can easily talk to.
These are only a few basic questions to get an idea. Eventually the only way to really know how a massage from any therapist will be is to try it. We do not feel like a lot of questions are necessary, in fact many therapist (not us of course) get annoyed if they feel like they're in a game of 20 questions. Ask a few questions to get an idea and then go in to experience the massage.
If there are any other questions that need addressing, or to schedule a massage, give the girls at Magic Massage a call at:
(801) 541-0006 or (801) 946-2700